Compile difficulties for GCC 2.95.3

I heard from someone who downloaded Bookcase 0.4 and had problems compiling it. He’s using GCC 2.95.3 and apparently it has a couple problems.

First, in the bookcase/src/bcunititem.h file, near the end of the file, GCC was complaining about casting the const char* to a QString so change the "_" to QString("_"). Secondly, it doesn’t like the default namespace :: identifier in bookcasedoc.cpp. So just remove those from lines 47, 53, 571, and 572. I’m waiting to hear if that completely fixes the problems, and if so, I’ll release Bookcase 0.4.1.

Here are the patches: bcunititem.h.diff and bookcasedoc.cpp.diff

Oh, the things one learns…

Bookcase 0.4 Released

Bookcase 0.4 is released. I fixed a few bugs, added a toolbar with a combobox for selecting which property to group the books by, and improveed the printing layout a bit.

I’ve learned more about XSLT than I ever wanted to know. You can’t use a parameter in the key() function, which limited me since I wanted to pass in the parameter from Bookcase. So I went a different route, much more inefficient, of doing two different sorts in the XSLT file. I also took advantage of the EXSLT extensions in libxslt which means at least version 1.0.19 is now required.

I made a src rpm and a i586 rpm for Mandrake 9.0.

Bookcase in italia

One of the joys of open-source development is getting feedback and patches from users. One of such users sent me a very nice email about his having found Bookcase to be a useful app. This makes me happy. Said user is also Italian, and he sent a long an Italian translation. Now, http://i18n.kde.org has lots of information for translators, and lots of information for developers building translation files, but not much about how I integrate the po file into my app. Autoconf seems to pick it up automatically, but I’ve not figured out how to test it. I’ve tried:


% KDE_LANG=it bookcase
% LANG=it bookcase
% LC_MESSAGES=it bookcase
% LC_ALL=it bookcase

and nothing seems to work…hmmm…