Declaration of Independence Banned at Calif School
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A California teacher has been barred by his school from giving students documents from American history that refer to God — including the Declaration of Independence.
Among the materials she has rejected, according to Williams, are excerpts from the Declaration of Independence, George Washington’s journal, John Adams’ diary, Samuel Adams’ “The Rights of the Colonists” and William Penn’s “The Frame of Government of Pennsylvania.”
I think I’ve reached the end of my pre-release cycle for Tellico. Tellico 0.13pre3 is available for download, and I expect to finish polishing the rough edges within a week and have 0.13 ready by Thanksgiving.
New features or changes in -pre3 are
- Command-line options for loading bibtex, MODS, and RIS data. Try tellico --help for info.
- The ISBN search will load a list of ISBN values from a file or URL.
- The lyxpipe citation will auto-generate a bibtex key if none exists for the entry.
- Added Virginie Quesnay to the Thanks box for her new icons.
I’m going to finish updating the documentation before putting out version 0.13. There are a couple other bugs that I want to nail down, too. The PIlotDB export acts funky, and I can’t track down a cause.
I’ll probably put an announcement on Freshmeat or kde-apps tomorrow.
I’ve fixed a few bugs in Tellico 0.13pre1, and so Tellico 0.13pre2 is available for testing. As before, it’s still a bit rough, but it’s close to release-shape. I improved the printing efficiency quite a bit, and added z39.50 user/password authentication to pre1. If anyone is interested in trying it out, I’d appreciate any comments about the new features, and any bugs or problems that crop up.
I don’t have the release notes written up yet, but here’s a short list of new features.
I’ve upgraded automake and autoconf on my box, and while I don’t think that’s supposed to impact the configure file, it probably will. The auto* tools are all black magic to me. Please let me know of any problems.
Pyblink is a utility for using pybliographer together with OpenOffice.org. It helps with pasting citations in an OpenOffice document and keeping track of the reference list. After someone asked me if Tellico could be made to work with pyblink as well, I took a look at the code. The fix turns out to be simple enough.
In the pyblink.py file, it looks for the LYXPIPE command coming from pybliographer in line 57, which has
m = re.search('LYXCMD:pyblio:citation-insert:(.*)$', buf)
Replace that with
m = re.search('LYXCMD:.*:citation-insert:(.*)$', buf)
That should do the trick and allow any app that uses the citation-insert function with lyxpipe to communicate with pyblink, as well. I emailed the pyblink author in case he wants to include the fix for his next version.
Alexandria 0.4.0, just released this weekend, supports importing and exporting Tellico data files. I gave a little help (although I don’t know Ruby at all), but much of the work was done by Laurent Sansonetti. Great job, Laurent! It’s a neat thing to work with folks like that.
The next release of Tellico will remove the dependency on cdparanoia’s libcdda for the CD information lookup by using an internal copy of some code from cd-discid. I didn’t want to introduce too many external dependencies. But this moves me really into the land of black magic, since I have no idea how to access CD-ROM drives.
Evidently, there’s a problem with some versions of the linux kernal or glibc header files when including linux/cdrom.h. I found more information from KDE bug #86188 and I added the same workaround to Tellico. I hope that fixes the problem in the pre-release from yesterday.
I use an RSS newsreader called Aggie and lately, I’ve come across a couple of newsfeeds that cause Aggie to show an error about an HTTP protocol violation. After some rooting around, it turns out to be a problem on the web server side of things, but there’s a workaround for the .NET libraries. I created a aggie.exe.config file in the Aggie folder, with the text from Jeff Clavier’s entry, and everything seems to work now.
I suppose it may degrade some of the error handling, and maybe there should be a notification for the feed in violation, but now I can subscribe without problem.
I’ve managed to get everything working for a pre-release of Tellico 0.13, pre-release 1. It’s still a bit rough around the edges, the docs are not updated, and it may cause your dog to die, but if you’re willing to try bleeding-edge stuff, go ahead. When you find problems, please let me know.
Here’s a short list of additions and updates:
- All references to bookcase have been removed. That is to say, the root element in the XML file is now tellico. The top-level file in the zip file format is now tellico.xml, and all the stylesheets have been renamed to include tellico in their name. The default file extension is now .tc. This is major.
- The printing and HTML export stylesheets were updated. The major bug was that, when grouped, entries not in any group were ignored in the output. Fixing that required some rearranging of the stylesheet which slowed it down somewhat, but it’s easier to understand (for me) and a bit more robust. Any custom stylesheets will have to be updated.
- The Internet Movie Database can now be searched for movies (I think).
- Any USMARC-compliant z39.50 server may be searched. The yaz library is required.
- The cdparanoia dependency was removed, in favor of an internal copy of cd-discid.
- An importer for the RIS format was added.
Since the file format changed in this version, older versions of Tellico will not open files saved by this version! You should backup your data files often! As always, there is no guarantee – this is a hobby of mine, and a hobby only.