Finally got mCatalog running

I was having problems running mCatalog, but I figured out what my problem was. I just upgraded glade to version 2.6, provided with Mandrake 10.1, and mCatalog will actually start now without crashing.

So if you’re suffering from bug #1047712, try upgrading your version of glade.

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object
in <0x000bc> BorrowerList:.ctor (Catalog,Database)
in <0x0006c> GladeApp:PopulateBorrowers ()
in <0x00de8> GladeApp:.ctor (string[])
in <0x0003c> GladeApp:Main (string[])

Alexandria library size

Someone posted a question to the Alexandria mailing list about library size limits. Since the collection was generated from a Tellico export, I hope the problem doesn’t lie in that pipeline.

I did run across a few snags when I was writing the exporter since Tellico doesn’t use a true YAML exporter and the YAML format wasn’t at all apparent to me, but I thought I got the export right. But sometimes, you never can tell. Maybe Ian or Laurent can figure something out.

mCatalog: very nice looking

I ran across another app for managing book collections: mCatalog, which also happens to handle movies. As yet, I’ve been unsuccessful in running it, after I installed the buttload of libraries that mono requires. I’m running into Bug #1047712.

When I started Tellico, there were no really effective book catalog programs for Linux. Now, there are more than 4 good ones, conceding that I’m the author of one of them. That’s rather cool.

mCatalog borrows the interface from a MacosX application called Delicious Library, with permission. The “shelf view” looks rather snazzy, though you can’t fit that many book covers in that space. And at one time, I did consider making Tellico include more than one type of collection in a file, so that movies, music, and books could all be accessed at once. I discarded that once I realize my framework wouldn’t easily support it, and besides, I wanted the more generalized approach.

Moving and moving

After moving about a month ago, I think I’m finally beginning to settle in. I had family visiting for a week, too, so that was great. Being a homeowner is a slightly weird feeling, particularly when writing mortgage payment checks. But I can finally sleep at night without noisy neighbors! One of the toughest things is finding a new barber, let me tell you.

I changed webhosting, too, which was more of a headache than I expected. I’d been using Dixiesys for about 3 years, and they’re fantastic. Those same folks run 8-95, as well, and when 8-95 offered a 3-for-1 sale, I jumped at it. The only real difference between the two is a guaranteed uptime, which I don’t truly need. So I saved a little money there, while at the same time, bumping my bandwidth and storage capacity.

I’d like to see a Tellico release before Thanksgiving. I’ve got the z39.50 search working, though big searches still freeze the GUI more than I like. I need to polish a few more things before I put out a pre-release. Several people have emailed me about a crashing bug that seems tied to a race condition in Qt somewhere. I’ve refactored some of that code, so I hope I killed the bug. I was never able to reproduce it.

There’s a new media catalog program for GNOME called mCatalog, which uses Mono. While it looks rather snazzy, I’ve yet to get it to run. It insists on crashing at startup, and the crash message is less than informative. Maybe I just don’t have recent enough versions of the C# librairies on my Mandrake 10 box.