I’m moving along with some development of the next version of Bookcase, 0.7. I added a new field type, Table, intended primarily for things like a list of the songs on an album. The Paragraph type could be used, but I think it’s cleaner to use a table. And it does look ok.
I had been planning to allow a file to have multiple collections, and I got so far as implementing it, along with a nice icon tool bar and everything, but I ended up deciding that I wanted my UI to remain simple. So, only one collection per file. But I’ve got skeletons for music and video collections, and thoughts about coins, stamps, trading cards, etc.
Thus, the Table type…I need it so I can have a list of songs on an album, or chapters on a DVD.
I also changed the Year type to Number, which is more generic, and lets me do numerical sorting more easily in the column view.
A helpful Bookcase user pointed out two bugs in version 0.6.5 to me in an email. In the Field Editor, if you change a title, click ‘Apply’, change another title, then click ‘Apply, Bookcase crashes. That’s an easy fix, and already in my development version of 0.6.6. For now, just don’t click ‘Apply’ until after you make all the changes you want.
The second bug is a little more complex. If a field title is changed, then saving the currently visible columns in the view doesn’t work right. That’s a problem mostly, again, for translated versions of Bookcase, but also for anyone that renames some field. I’m currently refactoring some of the code I use for saving settings and using them when a file is opened, so I think I’ll have this fixed, but not until the next big version, 0.7.
I just pushed out Bookcase 0.6.5. The only changes from 0.6.4 are for translations, so if you’re using the English version, there’s no need to upgrade. The translation bug with the category names was fixed. Bulgarian and Estonian translations were added, and the German one was updated.